Teknic vs Kilimanjaro 2011
I am a Goldwing rider. I'm having some trouble comparing the Teknic Freeway jacket with the new, 2011 Kilimanjaro jacket. They are both about the same price. What are the pros and cons when comparing waterproofness, breathability, durability, etc of these two jackets.
I have both jackets, and while they are very similar, they are also slightly different.
Pros for the Kilimanjaro:
- It is waterproof on the outside while the Teknic has a built in waterproof liner. The outside shell of the Teknic won't gain a lot of wait like leather, but it is something to consider.
- The Kilimanjaro has a zip out winblocker fleece, which can be worn off-bike and around town. The liner in the Freeway can not.
- The Kilimanjaro comes in a couple of lengths, and least in the larger sizes, so you can choose the length of the sleeves. The Teknic has long sleeves from my experience. Maybe even slightly longer than my Kilimanjaro long.
Pros for the Teknic:
- It is a solidly built jacket, maybe even better constructed than the Kilimanjaro
- The Alumafoil lining is warm, maybe even warmer than the wind blocker fleece of the Kilimanjaro
- The high removable neck functions better in the cold or wet than the Kilimanjaro
- It comes with a CE2 back protector, the Kilimanjaro comes with foam
- The Teknic flows air *far* better, making it a better 4-season jacket.
You honestly can't go wrong with either jacket. They are both excellent jackets, well constructed and durable. They are both waterproof in their own ways, and at least Teknic has a lifetime waterproof guarantee. It really depends if you wan't a 4 season (Teknic) or 3 season (FirstGear), and how big a deal arm length makes. If you have shorter arms the FirstGear may be the best bet, if you have longer than either the Teknic or the FirstGear Long may be the better options.
1 year, 2 months ago
Anthony sean D.